History

THE HISTORY OF THE RMNEF

The Royal Merchant Navy Education Foundation has a rich and detailed history spanning back across almost two centuries, during which it has undergone many changes, including being in different locations and having different names. However, the aims and beliefs of the charity have remained unchanged over the years – to support needy children and young adults as they embark upon an educational journey that will ultimately help them to enter the workplace.

Dates Names Locations
1827 ‘The Merchants’ Seamen’s Orphan Asylum’ administered
by The Port of London Society & Bethel Union (1827-1833)
4 Clark’s Terrace, London
1829  ‘The Merchants’ Seamen’s Orphan Asylum’ administered
by The Port of London Society & Bethel Union (1827-1833)
 11 St George’s Place, London
1830 ‘The Merchant’s Seamen’s Orphan Asylum’ 3 Clark’s Terrace, London
 1834-1902 ‘The Merchant’s Seamen’s Orphan Asylum’  New Grove, Bow Road, London
1862-1902  ‘The Merchant Seamen’s Orphanage’  Snaresbrook
1902-1921 ‘The Royal Merchant Seamen’s Orphanage’ Snaresbrook
1921-1935 ‘The Royal Merchant Seamen’s Orphanage’ Bearwood Estate, Wokingham
1935-1977 ‘The Royal Merchant Navy School’ Bearwood Estate, Wokingham
1977-1980 ‘Bearwood College’ Bearwood Estate, Wokingham
1980-2013 ‘The Royal Merchant Navy School Foundation’ Bearwood Estate, Wokingham
2013 ‘The Royal Merchant Navy Education Foundation’ Bearwood Estate, Wokingham
2014 ‘The Royal Merchant Navy Education Foundation’ Hungerford, Berkshire

For a more extensive history about The Royal Merchant Navy Education Foundation, please click here to find out more.

Children at Bow Road, 1840s

Boys' Dormitory

Princess Elizabeth visiting The Royal Merchant Navy School

Registered Charity Number 1153323
Copyright © 2018 RMNEF

Website designed by Shine Creative